Thursday, 2 October 2014

Erdmannhausen

About 4.2 km away from Steinheim (also known for the Steinheim skull found in 1933 of a 250,000 year old skull of a 25 year old woman - a relative perhaps?) is a town called Erdmannhausen. This is where the marriage certificate states that Jacob Friedrich was born - 30 May 1827. He married Catherina Magdalena Holzwarth on 24 June 1855. She was born 24 September 1826 in Steinheim. The certificate has her down as Wilhemine Magdalena - so I may have to get back to you on that - but the dates all match.

I walked between the two towns one sunny August day, I saw the Murr and sunflowers in the fields, lots of big, old trees and apple trees. It smelt of pine, honey, moss and damp earth with the occasional rotting apple - so many apples and no one seemed to be picking them anywhere in Germany! Again the friedhof held no graves older than the late 19th century.



 


The 16th & 17th centuries weren't much fun for our ancestors.
This notes the number of death during extreme winters!

No comments:

Post a Comment